Marv Tarplin, Miracles guitarist has passed away

All About the Music of Yesteryear

Marv Tarplin, Miracles guitarist has passed away

Postby Jim » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:54 pm

http://detnews.com/article/20110930/ENT04/109300454/1424/ENT04
Miracles guitarist Tarplin, co-writer of “Tracks of My Tears” dies at 70
Susan Whitall/ Detroit News Music Writer

Motown's Marv Tarplin, who as a guitarist and songwriter was a vital part of Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' sound, has died.

The Atlanta, Ga. native was 70 and living in Las Vegas at the time of his death. Details of when and how are still sketchy, but Jeanne Sorensen, who books engagements for the Miracles today out of Metro Detroit, said that Tarplin's daughter Talese Tarplin confirmed that her father died in Las Vegas. Marv Tarplin left Michigan, and the Miracles, in 1973.

Billy Wilson of the Motown Alumni Association sent out an email alert late Friday afternoon that Tarplin had died, lauding him as the Miracles' "secret weapon."

"I've known Marv since I was 15," Sorensen said. "The Miracles were playing in New York, where I grew up, and I went to the Brooklyn Fox to see them. End of story, I was Miraclized."

Unlike most Motown studio musicians, who stayed in the "Snakepit" at Hitsville on West Grand Boulevard from the beginning, Tarplin was a full-fledged member of the Miracles, recording and touring with them, and appearing on album covers as a member of the group.

While Tarplin was briefly with the Supremes, in their early, Primettes days, Robinson liked his guitar sound and grabbed him for the group. Tarplin was with the Miracles from their first Motown recordings in the late '50s.

He was vital to the group's sound not only as a guitarist, but because he co-wrote many Miracles hits with Robinson, including "The Tracks of My Tears," "Going to a Go-Go," and "The Love I Saw in You Was Just a Mirage." Tarplin also co-wrote (with Robinson), "Ain't That Peculiar" and "I'll Be Doggone," for Marvin Gaye.

Reluctantly, Tarplin moved out to California from Detroit along with Robinson in 1973, and he continued to tour and co-write with Robinson, working on "Cruisin'" and "Being With You" with him.

Since retiring from touring with Robinson in 2008, Tarplin lived a quiet life in Las Vegas. "Marvin was a gentleman, very private. That's what was endearing about him," said Sorensen.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110930/ENT ... writer-of-“Tracks-of-My-Tears”-dies-at-70#ixzz1ZUV1yJPA
Dreams don't die, people just stop dreaming.
Jim
Berry's Assistant

Re: Marv Tarplin, Miracles guitarist has passed away

Postby Bubca » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:51 pm

Someone from UMG told me this afternoon that Marv had passed, and I kept doing searches and could not find it. I decided that it must have been one of those vicious rumors. Sad to see that it is true. He could have been the fifth Supreme.

The Motown greats are leaving us more and more rapidly. Let us appreciate those that are still around and remember those who have passed.

Motown Music has put a lot of joy in my life and continues to
ImageImage
Bubca
Motown VP

Postby Carlo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:09 am

Bubca wrote:The Motown greats are leaving us more and more rapidly. Let us appreciate those that are still around and remember those who have passed.

It's so sad, but true. I was talking to some fans at Diana's show in Rochester. Many fans tend to speculate whether or not this will be one of her last tours. I told them I just live in the moment and I am thankful and appreciative of every opportunity I get to see her. There will be future generations of fans who will unfortunately not have the opportunity to experience many of our Motown legends in a live concert setting. We must respect and appreciate them while they are still here.

Rest in peace, Marv Tarplin. I saw Smokey back in June 2010 and I cannot remember if he was at that show or not. I think he was...
Carlo
Berry's Assistant

Postby marybrewster » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:03 am

So many important people to the Motown legacy have left us and are leaving us. RIP Marv.
marybrewster
Berry's Assistant

Return to Reflections